Arthritis in neck: problems and cures
Arthritis in neck is the leading cause of pain in many people, although neck pain may be associated with other conditions too.
Arthritis in the neck: What causes it?
In the present times, working at the PC for long hours, playing
computer games or pouring over books for long intervals could lead to
In the past, this condition was common in people over forty years
of age. But, these days, even younger folks are increasingly suffering
from arthritis related neck problems.
Arthritis in the neck is caused by overuse of the neck. Osteoarthritis is the most common reason for an arthritic neck.
When the joints in the neck are subjected to continuous use,
degenerative changes take place in the alignment and structure of the
joints and the tissues surrounding them.
This gradually causes a change in the vertebrae, which ultimately
causes inflammation and pain. This condition is also called as cervical
Arthritis in the neck: What will I feel?
Nerve compression is common in people with an arthritic neck. Symptoms depend on where the nerve compression is located.
Generally though, patients feel numbness, pain, headaches, weakness, spells of dizziness and even urinary problems.
- In the beginning, most patients do not experience any symptoms at all.
- In mild cases, patients experience headaches, pain
and stiffness in the neck. This may be accompanied by swelling,
tenderness and stiffness in the neck.
- Sometimes, the pain may shoot down the arms. Hand movements may become clumsy.
- Sometimes, weakness and numbness may even extend to
the legs. Unsteadiness in walking is generally seen in elderly people
who suffer from spondylosis.
- Urinary problems including urinary incontinence may appear in some patients.
Without proper care, symptoms become worse with age.
Arthritis in the neck: How can it be cured?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis. However, the good news
is that patients can lead a near normal life if they take certain steps
to manage their condition effectively. Here are some tips:
- Exercise. - This strengthens the muscles and
joints, and keeps the cartilage in good condition. If you feel pain,
relax on the days when pain occurs and exercise on the good days.
Exercise can help arrest the progress of the disease.
- Hot and cold treatments: These treatments help you manage acute pain. It also helps to reduce stiffness of the neck.
- Pillows: Cervical pillows relieve the stress on your neck.
- Massage: Massaging the affected area with capsaicin cream relieves pain greatly.
- Posture: Poor posture is the leading cause of arthritis in the neck.
Neck pain? - Look out for Cervical Arthritis!
Learn on other major Arthritis Types along with Arthritis in neck.
Leave arthritis in neck and go to Arthritis Treatments Relief Home.